Thursday, January 19, 2012

Lack of link between school lunches and childhood obesity

I saw this on Consumerist

I have two problems, the first is that both the article on the Consumerist and the link to where Consumerist got this from are lacking in details.  I need more info, and neither directly links to the research or a public version of the research (though it may not be public yet).  This is important to me because I want to know if part of their research took into account if the schools they surveyed did or did not have physical education and recess periods; and how do the results split with that.

The second issue I have is the overall hypothesis of the research as it's being conveyed.  A) Were there really people who wanted to blame school lunches as primary or major factor to childhood obesity?  I feel that what was being served on average was poor nutritionally speaking, but never more than just a small factor of the whole puzzle.  B) This research almost makes it sound like the changes that have been put in place recently regarding nutritional choices for children are extemporaneous.  I definitely don't want this train to stop, for all involved.

Last thing, I'm refraining from joking about this being a study with a focus on children coming from Penn State.

No comments:

Post a Comment